- Fitzpatrick’s Foodstore announces €2 million redev...
- The Long Table Walk Goes On Again This Mid-Summer
- SECRET ROMANCE AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL, KILLARNEY...
- PREM Group Invests over €1 million in Waterford Hotel
- YellowBelly Beer Launch Free Guide to Cooking with...
- EGG CELLENT EASTER FAMILY BREAKS AT LYRATH ESTATE
- Killybegs' Seafood Shack is awarded best Chowder i...
- Eggs for Anytime. Chefs’ Recipe Competition
- Champagne Evening at The Hayfield
- Top Posts, last 7 months
- A Michelin Starred Chocolate Experience at Cliff H...
- Liberty Wines to distribute Champagne Houses Piper...
- Keep Cork Meeting Event Next Week!
- O'Brien Wine Festival - Spring 2019
- You too can brew … on a Mescan Brewery brew course...
- Glittering night at the Food Oscars for Sligo Food...
- Yellow Belly, Black Donkey & White Deer add colour...
- New Douglas branch opened by rapidly expanding fudi&more
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Wines from the edge. Tasmania and the Chilean Coast.
Pinot Noir and Riesling.
Lo Abarca Riesling 2017, 12.5%, €12.00 Marks and Spencer.
This wine is exclusive to M&S and they call it quirky on the label. It comes from cool climate vineyards in Chile’s San Antonio valley. Here in Casa Marin, the sunny vineyards are cooled by nearby Pacific breezes (the ocean is just a few kilometres away) and that makes them perfect for ripening Riesling grapes with excellent balance.
Wines of South America (2014) described the Lo Abarca area as “unofficial” noting just two producers there, Undurraga and Casa Marin.
This wine has a very light straw colour, tints of green, very clean. Pleasant aromas of circus (lime) and also floral notes. Crisp and refreshing on the palate, yellow fruit plus lime, an impressive natural acidity and a long dry finish. Very Highly Recommended.
Winery: Excellent as an aperitif with a delicious fresh ceviche or any type of seafood. Furthermore, it is the best friend for spicy food, like for example a delicious Thai Curry.
M&S: Enjoy this wine chilled with spicy southeast Asian curries or sweet and sour Chinese noodles.
By the way, in the 2018 awards, Decanter magazine awarded this Riesling its Gold Medal.Pure South Pinot Noir Tasmania 2015, 13.5%, €16.45 Marks and Spencer
This one which, according to M&S winemaker Belinda Kleining, has subtle integrated oak to complement the generous red fruit, grew on me. Highly Recommended.