- FIVE CORK RESTAURANTS OFFERING A SPECIAL PRE-THEA...
- Midweek ‘Me Time’ at Lyrath Estate
- THE SLEEP COACH AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL, KILLARNE...
- MONTENOTTE HOTEL IS THE HOTEL BAR OF YEAR
- Cask Wins ‘Bar of The Year’ at the Bar of The Year...
- SIZZLING HALLOWEEN. Westport House and Hotel Westp...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Posts, last 11 months
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Wines from the Edges. Tasmania and the Chilean Coast.
Wines from the edge. Tasmania and the Chilean Coast.
Pinot Noir and Riesling.
Lo Abarca Riesling 2017, 12.5%, €12.00 Marks and Spencer.
This wine is exclusive to M&S and they call it quirky on the label. It comes from cool climate vineyards in Chile’s San Antonio valley. Here in Casa Marin, the sunny vineyards are cooled by nearby Pacific breezes (the ocean is just a few kilometres away) and that makes them perfect for ripening Riesling grapes with excellent balance.
Wines of South America (2014) described the Lo Abarca area as “unofficial” noting just two producers there, Undurraga and Casa Marin.
This wine has a very light straw colour, tints of green, very clean. Pleasant aromas of circus (lime) and also floral notes. Crisp and refreshing on the palate, yellow fruit plus lime, an impressive natural acidity and a long dry finish. Very Highly Recommended.
Winery: Excellent as an aperitif with a delicious fresh ceviche or any type of seafood. Furthermore, it is the best friend for spicy food, like for example a delicious Thai Curry.
M&S: Enjoy this wine chilled with spicy southeast Asian curries or sweet and sour Chinese noodles.
By the way, in the 2018 awards, Decanter magazine awarded this Riesling its Gold Medal.Pure South Pinot Noir Tasmania 2015, 13.5%, €16.45 Marks and Spencer
This one which, according to M&S winemaker Belinda Kleining, has subtle integrated oak to complement the generous red fruit, grew on me. Highly Recommended.