- FIVE CORK RESTAURANTS OFFERING A SPECIAL PRE-THEA...
- Midweek ‘Me Time’ at Lyrath Estate
- THE SLEEP COACH AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL, KILLARNE...
- MONTENOTTE HOTEL IS THE HOTEL BAR OF YEAR
- Cask Wins ‘Bar of The Year’ at the Bar of The Year...
- SIZZLING HALLOWEEN. Westport House and Hotel Westp...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Posts, last 11 months
Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Taste of the Week. Silver Spear Gin
Taste of the Week
Silver Spear Gin
So many gins on the market nowadays. Some are very good. But others have little to distinguish themselves from the crowd. Not so with Silver Spear from Ballydarton House in Carlow. Came across this at a recent function, enjoyed the fragrant aromas and the classic characteristics in the glass and thought to myself that I had a Taste of the Week in my hands.
So I did some further research, that is to say, I had another glass of their perfect serve.
The ingredients are:
Silver Spear Gin 35ml
Premium tonic 150ml.
Stir and serve on ice, garnished with strawberry (sliced and slight muddled) and one wedge of lime (with a slight squeeze.
That research worked out quite well and the Silver Spear is our current Taste of the Week. Lots of other ways of serving it also. Check out a list of cocktails here.
Silver Spear gin is an award winning contemporary Irish Gin produced in small batches by Smyth & O’Reilly. Taking over 14 months to develop and produced with absolute consistency, it’s is a marriage of 13 different ingredients, including fresh juniper berries, spices, herbs and citrus.
The name was inspired by an iconic piece of Irish and British military history. The ‘Silver Spear’ was awarded to John Henry Watson of Ballydarton House in 1876 for his ‘skill and horsemanship’ whilst he was in service in Colonial India, the home of Gin and Tonic.
The company is owned and managed by husband and wife team, Dawn and Charles Smyth. Dawn, well experienced in the food and drink business, is the only person who knows the secret recipe and blends. They were awarded “Best Irish Contemporary Gin” in Ireland during blind taste tests at the World Gin Awards 2018. More info here.