- Franciscan Well's Chieftain IPA takes to the skies...
- Pork Crackling with an Irish Twist. Scratch My Por...
- Wild & Vital ~ Forage, Make, Taste & Learn
- 'FOOD RESCUE' at BALLYVOLANE HOUSE
- HERE NOW! TIO PEPE EN RAMA 2017
- Killarney’s Newest Private Dining Venue - The Pict...
- Clonakilty Walking Food Tour Returns This Summer
- Munster Wine & Dine. Wine Tasting Update!
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Protect our pubs!
- CIT Culinary Arts Students Showcase Unique New Foo...
- Beaujolais trade tasting comes back to Dublin
- GEORGINA CAMPBELL 2017 IRISH BREAKFAST AWARD WINNE...
- Festival Launch of the Old Butter Roads Food Trail...
- The C.A.T. is out!
- On the Pig's Back to open for Sunday brunch/lunch!...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Blog Policy
Saturday, May 13, 2017
One day in January 1933 I was sitting with my esteemed publisher Rowohlt in Schlichters Wine Bar in Berlin, enjoying a convivial dinner. Our lady wives and a few bottles of good Franconian wine kept us company. We were, as they say in the Scriptures, filled with good wine, and on this occasion it had a good effect on us too. … it had put me in in a cheerful and rather jocular, bantering mood, which made me the ideal companion for Rowohlt, who is increasingly transformed by alcohol into a huge two-hundred-pound baby. He sat at the table with alcohol evaporating, in a manner of speaking, from every pore of his body.
from A Stranger in my own Country by Hans Fallada (2009). Recommended.