- Dress up Fancy for Saturday's Killavullen Farmers ...
- Cork’s Cask Bar and Greenes Restaurant Win Top Awa...
- West Cork Underwater Search & Rescue Fundraising G...
- Iconic Ha’penny Bridge inspires new handcrafted small-batch spirits range
- Granny Griffin Wins at Blas na hEireann 2018 In Di...
- Gold for Horgans at Blas Na hEireann
- Blas na hÉireann 2018 winners announced - 53 from ...
- GRAHAM’S winniGN WAYS WITH WOMEN
- City Hall Heats Up for 10th Annual Cork and Kerry ...
- FALLING FOR US- AUTUMN AT LYRATH ESTATE
- 'Cork Ale Trail Oktoberfest'
- Mellow Fruitfulness at Cahernane House Hotel
- Cork Cheese Week Latest
- FYFFES CELEBRATES 130 YEARS
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Cork Food Policy Council Presents Cork Food Harvest Festival 2018
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- The Good Value Wine List
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Taste of the Week. Bertha’s Revenge Gin
Taste of the Week
Bertha’s Revenge Gin
“Most important of all for us was the desire to produce a gin that other people would enjoy as much as we do.” So says Justin Green who, with Anthony Jackson, founded Bertha’s Revenge Milk Gin in 2015. The marvellous gin, which walked off the shelves of one leading Cork drinks store over Christmas, is our rich and smooth Taste of the Week. Any week!
The gin is named after Bertha, the oldest cow in the world, who died a few weeks short of her 49th birthday. The Whey spirit they use is made by Carbery in West Cork.
The producers - the tiny distillery is in Ballyvolane House - are so happy with the complexity and smoothness of this milk based gin that they really enjoy sipping it with a “splash of water”.
But they add “she works very well with a good quality tonic”. And she performs well also in a martini. Bertha, shaken with ice and a suggestion of vermouth, poured into a chilled glass with a simple zest garnish delivers “a gloriously smooth and precise cocktail experience”. Try it for yourself - stockists here - about 50 euro per bottle. You’ll also find it in various mixes in leading bars and restaurants.