- Franciscan Well hosts the First Beer Festival of 2...
- KINSALE GIN Partners with BARRY & FITZWILLIAM.
- Fundraising event in aid of West Cork Animal Welf...
- Barnabrow House Gourmet Evening. Just in time for Valentine's!
- ORSO WELCOMES IN 2019 WITH €19 PRIX FIXE MENU
- COME FOR DINNER, STAY FOR FREE! At the Nox Hotel G...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Bollywood New Year's Eve Theme at Richy's
- The Spirit of Christmas Alive and Well in Cork!
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- The Good Value Wine List
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Tokyo takes the crown as world fine dining capital...
- Saint-Chinian Wine Fair Mon 4th Feb
- O’Brien PR Awarded All-Ireland Business Accreditation
- Dublin Food Chain to host event today highlighting...
- How much more can the hospitality sector bear?
- SAVOUR FOOD AWARDS BEST PRACTICE IN FOOD WASTE MAN...
- COBH SCHOOL HOSTS CHILDREN’S FITNESS INITIATIVE
- Find the perfect Christmas dinner in Cahernane House Hotel
- Local Produce Shines on Greene's New Winter Menu
- Hooked's Anthony Gray. Confident in Challenging Ti...
- KENNETH MURPHY APPOINTED AS EXECUTIVE CHEF LYRATH...
- Blog Policy
Monday, December 21, 2015
Taste of the Week
Bought some Killeen goat milk cheese at On the Pig's Back recently and it is a gem. Made in the Gouda style by Dutch-born Marion Roeleveld in Ballinasloe, the recently published Sheridans Guide to Cheese has praised it to the rafters of the dairy: “The Gouda-making technique works very well with goats’ milk and Marion produces the best we have ever tasted.” High praise indeed for our Taste of the Week.
It is a very pale cheese indeed, the texture is firm and smooth and it falls into the Pressed Uncooked category. It is mild, a little sweet and totally delicious, very versatile too and one that garners many converts for goats cheese. Try it in salads, with fruit or as a topping for savoury dishes. And don't forget the cheese board. It was voted Best Goat Cheese at the British Cheese Awards in 2014.
Killeens also make a cows milk cheese along Gouda lines. Check out their website here for the details of both cheeses (and some variations as well) and you’ll also see that they are widely available.