- PINEAPPLE-TO-GO FOR CORK CITY SHOPPERS
- A TASTE OF WEST CORK FOOD FESTIVAL WELCOMES AUSTRA...
- Summer time food is delicious at Cliff House Hotel
- Experience the best of Cork Food with Good Food Ir...
- Cask Opens For Weekend Brunch
- The Fem-Ale Festival Coming Next Month
- Waterford Harvest Festival All Set To Shine Again ...
- TULFARRIS HOTEL AND GOLF RESORT, BLESSINGTON, CO. ...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- SEASONAL DELIGHTS AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL
- Mauro Colagreco’s Mirazur is No.1 as The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2019 are revealed
- SUPERVALU REVEAL CORK ARE THE MOST ADVENTUROUS BBQ...
- €300,000 FUNDING AWARDED TO FOOD PRODUCERS IN CORK...
- World's Top Restaurants 51-120
- Flavour.ie Pops Up with Grub N Dub Club in West Cork!
- Richy's Launch New Menu
- MAKE IT FEEL LIKE A SUMMER THAT NEVER ENDS AT LYRATH ESTATE
- Alfie Byrne’s is ‘smoking hot’ this summer!
- Sea Change: Ireland’s largest free maritime festiv...
- Top Posts, last 10 months
- Blog Policy
- Sogrape takes majority stake in Liberty Wines
Monday, December 21, 2015
Taste of the Week
Bought some Killeen goat milk cheese at On the Pig's Back recently and it is a gem. Made in the Gouda style by Dutch-born Marion Roeleveld in Ballinasloe, the recently published Sheridans Guide to Cheese has praised it to the rafters of the dairy: “The Gouda-making technique works very well with goats’ milk and Marion produces the best we have ever tasted.” High praise indeed for our Taste of the Week.
It is a very pale cheese indeed, the texture is firm and smooth and it falls into the Pressed Uncooked category. It is mild, a little sweet and totally delicious, very versatile too and one that garners many converts for goats cheese. Try it in salads, with fruit or as a topping for savoury dishes. And don't forget the cheese board. It was voted Best Goat Cheese at the British Cheese Awards in 2014.
Killeens also make a cows milk cheese along Gouda lines. Check out their website here for the details of both cheeses (and some variations as well) and you’ll also see that they are widely available.