Carlingford Oysters land Great Taste Golden Fork with natural treasure from the Irish Sea
On Sunday 17 October, the Great Taste Golden Fork from Ireland was presented to Carlingford Oysters from Mullatee, for its Louet Feisser Select Carlingford Oysters. Sponsored by Bord Bia, the trophy for the best food or drink from Ireland was announced at the Great Taste Golden Fork Reception at the Yorkshire Event Centre in Harrogate, as the largest and most trusted food and drink awards on the planet reached its exciting finale.
Out of 218 Great Taste 3-star award-winning products to be re-judged to find this year’s Golden Fork Trophy winners and the Great Taste Supreme Champion 2021, these beautifully plump and creamy oysters were one of 13 products to pick up the coveted trophy for their respective country or region.
Grown in the A classified waters of Carlingford Lough, these beautiful oysters take their perfect tear drop shape and smooth pearly white shell from the natural flow of the water. With unspoilt growing conditions, the oysters feed on the naturally occurring plankton and unique minerals, which flow down from the mountain streams, giving them a unique flavour, colour and texture.
For more information about Carlingford Oysters, please visit www.carlingfordoystercompany.
Facts and figures about Great Taste 2021:
- Established in 1994, Great Taste is organised by the Guild of Fine Food and is the world’s largest, longest standing and most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers
- 14,113 different products were entered in 2021 from 108 countries
- 355 judges blind-tasted this year’s entries, including; Joanna Blythman, investigative journalist and food writer, cook, writer, stylist and voice of modern vegetarian cooking, Anna Jones, author, Olia Hercules, Kenny Tutt, MasterChef 2018 champion and restaurateur, food writer and cook, Xanthe Clay, presenter, author and tutor, Steven Lamb, baker and author, Martha Collison, and Kavi Thakrar from Dishoom, as well as food buyers from Selfridges, Fortnum & Mason and Partridges
- Socially distanced judging took place over 86 days at four venues, including Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset and the Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 4,027 awarded a Great Taste 1-star - A food that delivers fantastic flavour. Approximately 30% of entries will achieve this rating each year
- 1,138 awarded a Great Taste 2-star - Above and beyond delicious – less than 10% of entries will achieve this rating
- 218 awarded a Great Taste 3-star - Extraordinarily tasty foods – less than 2% of products are awarded a 3-star each year – don’t leave the shop without buying it!