- The Real Wine Fair lands in Ireland!
- Cask Brings Top London Drinks Lab to Cork for One ...
- Cork Penny Dinners set to benefit from MII's "The Ringmasters Ball"
- MONTENOTTE AFTERNOON TEA CELEBRATES ALL THINGS COR...
- Mescan launch the first of the ‘Seven Virtues’ bee...
- SUPERVALU LAUNCH EXCLUSIVE GRAHAM NORTON IRISH GIN...
- VALENTINE’S WEEKEND IN THE MARBLE CITY
- Gold Award for Cahernane House
- PREM GROUP LAUNCHES NEW DIGITAL MARKETING COMPANY: SPRINT DIGITAL
- Franciscan Well hosts the First Beer Festival of 2...
- KINSALE GIN Partners with BARRY & FITZWILLIAM.
- Fundraising event in aid of West Cork Animal Welf...
- Barnabrow House Gourmet Evening. Just in time for Valentine's!
- ORSO WELCOMES IN 2019 WITH €19 PRIX FIXE MENU
- COME FOR DINNER, STAY FOR FREE! At the Nox Hotel G...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- The Good Value Wine List
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Blog Policy
- Top Posts, last 12 months
Saturday, March 7, 2015
A- A happy group of us drank our Patrick’s Pot in Fr Seamus Hennebry’s, the parish priest’s house. We had fresh cod’s head, salted marinated ling, smoked salmon, and fresh trout, with green cabbage and fragrant cheese with our meal. We had white wine, port, whiskey and punch in plenty….
B- We have ‘cobbledy’ for dinner today. It is not right to call it cál ceannann (white topped kale) for there is neither kale nor white cabbage in it, but white potatoes, fresh milk, good salted butter, salt as well, and pepper and onions warming it up. Myself, my children and my poor dear wife are gobbling it up - we have plenty of it, but not too much.
from The Diary of an Irish countryman 1827-1835 by Humphrey O’Sullivan.