- PREM GROUP LAUNCHES NEW DIGITAL MARKETING COMPANY:...
- Franciscan Well hosts the First Beer Festival of 2...
- KINSALE GIN Partners with BARRY & FITZWILLIAM.
- Fundraising event in aid of West Cork Animal Welf...
- Barnabrow House Gourmet Evening. Just in time for Valentine's!
- ORSO WELCOMES IN 2019 WITH €19 PRIX FIXE MENU
- COME FOR DINNER, STAY FOR FREE! At the Nox Hotel G...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Bollywood New Year's Eve Theme at Richy's
- The Spirit of Christmas Alive and Well in Cork!
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- The Good Value Wine List
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Tokyo takes the crown as world fine dining capital...
- Saint-Chinian Wine Fair Mon 4th Feb
- O’Brien PR Awarded All-Ireland Business Accreditation
- Dublin Food Chain to host event today highlighting...
- How much more can the hospitality sector bear?
- SAVOUR FOOD AWARDS BEST PRACTICE IN FOOD WASTE MAN...
- COBH SCHOOL HOSTS CHILDREN’S FITNESS INITIATIVE
- Find the perfect Christmas dinner in Cahernane House Hotel
- Local Produce Shines on Greene's New Winter Menu
- Hooked's Anthony Gray. Confident in Challenging Ti...
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Taste of the WeekCoffee & Walnut Cake
I’m a reasonably regular caller to Mahon Point Farmers Market and there are three particular stalls, more or less together, that I call to (call to quite a few others too!) when I'm there on a Thursday morning. The Woodside Farm and their free range pig products is one; Lennie and his boxes of granola and dried fruits is another. Sandwiched in between is Clare and Gan Gluten.
Clare, whose sisters run the Farmgates (in the city and in Midleton), sells her cakes, breads and savouries here every Thursday and also sells to restaurants, cafes and delis. Why not check out her stall tomorrow? I might meet you there!
Sometimes, I buy one of her savoury pieces, usually for a convenient and very tasty lunch. Sometimes, I feel like sweet. That was the case recently and we went off home with a large tranche of her Coffee and Walnut Cake.
It didn't last too long. It was moist and delicious, full of all the flavours you’d expect from an expert producer and proved to be our unanimous Taste of the Week. A rather short lived one, though! Short and sweet.
Gluten and Wheat Free Tarts, Cakes and Savouries
Unit 9, Riverside Grove, Riverstick, Cork.
Tel: 086 2339519
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Taste of the Week
This week’s Taste of the Week is a delicious Spicy Lentil Pie by Gan Gluten. Clare O’Brien is an excellent baker and the pastry here is top notch. The filling is full of flavour and not overly spicy at all. Just a lovely snack at lunch-time or add a few bits and pieces to it and you're well on the way to a tasty dinner.
Clare, whose sisters run the Farmgates (in the city and in Midleton), sells her cakes, breads and savouries at Mahon Farmers Market every Thursday and also sells to restaurants, cafes and delis. Why not check out her stall on Mahon Point this morning? I might meet you there!