- FYFFES IRELAND INTRODUCES NEW REDUCED-PACKAGING BA...
- Fourth annual Clonakilty Street Carnival launches ...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Chris Bullzini surveys Cork city ahead of his brea...
- Award-Winning Blacks Brewery & Distillery Launch U...
- The Taste, Walk & Talk of the Town!
- BOISDALE OF BISHOPSGATE LAUNCHES the £90 omelette
- Evening with experts in cooperage, beer, whiskey, wine & pizza
- Richy's Celebrating 18th Year in Clonakilty
- Backyard at Blas takes to the road this spring, su...
- Top Posts, last 7 months
- Kinsale Mead Co. wins Gold again!
- Cork Businesswoman of the Year Awards Shortlist An...
- INTRODUCING “TEA TIME” AT CONRAD DUBLIN
- French Wine Evening. Dillon’s Restaurant 21st May
- Monkstown wine + dine collaboration starts on a hi...
- HIKE AND HERITAGE AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL, KILLAR...
- DRONES, COWS & WOWS – CORK SUMMER SHOW 2019
- Franciscan Well Adds to its Award-Winning Range wi...
- Brunch & Beats comes to Cork’s Crawford & Co
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Taste of the WeekCoffee & Walnut Cake
I’m a reasonably regular caller to Mahon Point Farmers Market and there are three particular stalls, more or less together, that I call to (call to quite a few others too!) when I'm there on a Thursday morning. The Woodside Farm and their free range pig products is one; Lennie and his boxes of granola and dried fruits is another. Sandwiched in between is Clare and Gan Gluten.
Clare, whose sisters run the Farmgates (in the city and in Midleton), sells her cakes, breads and savouries here every Thursday and also sells to restaurants, cafes and delis. Why not check out her stall tomorrow? I might meet you there!
Sometimes, I buy one of her savoury pieces, usually for a convenient and very tasty lunch. Sometimes, I feel like sweet. That was the case recently and we went off home with a large tranche of her Coffee and Walnut Cake.
It didn't last too long. It was moist and delicious, full of all the flavours you’d expect from an expert producer and proved to be our unanimous Taste of the Week. A rather short lived one, though! Short and sweet.
Gluten and Wheat Free Tarts, Cakes and Savouries
Unit 9, Riverside Grove, Riverstick, Cork.
Tel: 086 2339519
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Taste of the Week
This week’s Taste of the Week is a delicious Spicy Lentil Pie by Gan Gluten. Clare O’Brien is an excellent baker and the pastry here is top notch. The filling is full of flavour and not overly spicy at all. Just a lovely snack at lunch-time or add a few bits and pieces to it and you're well on the way to a tasty dinner.
Clare, whose sisters run the Farmgates (in the city and in Midleton), sells her cakes, breads and savouries at Mahon Farmers Market every Thursday and also sells to restaurants, cafes and delis. Why not check out her stall on Mahon Point this morning? I might meet you there!