- Market Lane ‘Chef Sessions’ Pops Up with ‘Food Jou...
- Munster Wine & Dine Circle. 2019 April Trip
- Argentine Wine Fair. Elegance doesn’t need perf...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Are you a Rebel or a Chieftain?
- The RACK ‘EM UP SERIES from Eight Degrees Brewing
- PREM Group Invests over €1 million in Kilkenny Hot...
- West Cork Food and Top Italian Wines to feature at...
- SLIGO FOOD TOURS TO TAKE TO THE STREETS THIS SUMME...
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Treat your Mum this Mother’s Day with a Special Lu...
- Inspirational women of Sligo Food Trail
- Launch of Cork School Garden Project
- GEORGIAN WINE COMES TO DUBLIN
- CAHERNANE HOUSE SET FOR FURTHER €1.3M. RENOVATION
- Top Posts, last 6 months
- Cork targets French tourists
- Calorie counting “will cable tie the hands of che...
- THE WORLD’S 50 BEST RESTAURANTS AWARDS
- Maryborough Hotel Food & Wine Evening Friday March 8th
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Taste of the WeekCoffee & Walnut Cake
I’m a reasonably regular caller to Mahon Point Farmers Market and there are three particular stalls, more or less together, that I call to (call to quite a few others too!) when I'm there on a Thursday morning. The Woodside Farm and their free range pig products is one; Lennie and his boxes of granola and dried fruits is another. Sandwiched in between is Clare and Gan Gluten.
Clare, whose sisters run the Farmgates (in the city and in Midleton), sells her cakes, breads and savouries here every Thursday and also sells to restaurants, cafes and delis. Why not check out her stall tomorrow? I might meet you there!
Sometimes, I buy one of her savoury pieces, usually for a convenient and very tasty lunch. Sometimes, I feel like sweet. That was the case recently and we went off home with a large tranche of her Coffee and Walnut Cake.
It didn't last too long. It was moist and delicious, full of all the flavours you’d expect from an expert producer and proved to be our unanimous Taste of the Week. A rather short lived one, though! Short and sweet.
Gluten and Wheat Free Tarts, Cakes and Savouries
Unit 9, Riverside Grove, Riverstick, Cork.
Tel: 086 2339519
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Taste of the Week
This week’s Taste of the Week is a delicious Spicy Lentil Pie by Gan Gluten. Clare O’Brien is an excellent baker and the pastry here is top notch. The filling is full of flavour and not overly spicy at all. Just a lovely snack at lunch-time or add a few bits and pieces to it and you're well on the way to a tasty dinner.
Clare, whose sisters run the Farmgates (in the city and in Midleton), sells her cakes, breads and savouries at Mahon Farmers Market every Thursday and also sells to restaurants, cafes and delis. Why not check out her stall on Mahon Point this morning? I might meet you there!