- Unique All Ireland Collaboration. Two Great Pionee...
- Songs of Joy as Griffin's turn on the lights next ...
- New Zealand Winegrowers 2019 Sommelier Scholarship...
- Euro-Toques Young Chef of the Year winner is Jack ...
- O'Mahony's Butchers Launches New Click & Collect W...
- Unveiling World Class Shopping Destination. Dunnes...
- Barnabrow. The Christmas Pudding with surPRIZES!
- Delicious Thanksgiving Menu at Waterford's La Bohe...
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- The Good Value Wine List
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Irish food on global stage at Breeders’ Cup World ...
- Franciscan Well Brewpub Celebrates 20 Years Pourin...
- Mescan Brewery founders receive knighthoods in Bel...
- Cooking with Beer. Three Recipes!
- FrancisCAN Well Gone Can Mad
- Stojo - The On-the-Go Collapsible Cup
- WINTER WARMER AT LYRATH ESTATE
- A Simply Better Christmas
- Dress up Fancy for Saturday's Killavullen Farmers ...
- Cork’s Cask Bar and Greenes Restaurant Win Top Awa...
- Cork Food Policy Council Presents Cork Food Harvest Festival 2018
- Blog Policy
- FLAVOURS OF NEW ZEALAND – 2019 Annual Trade Tastin...
Sunday, August 14, 2016
Make a meal of it this September in aid of Cork Simon
and people who are homeless
Cork Simon Community is encouraging people to throw a dinner party this September to raise funds in support of Cork Simon’s hefty food costs.
During the month of September, The Great Cork Simon Supper will take place across Cork with friends, family, co-workers and class-mates coming together to share a meal to help provide healthy, nourishing food for people who are homeless in Cork.
Cork Simon’s annual food bill exceeds €180,000 per year. This provides nutritious food to people staying at and using all Cork Simon services, from the Emergency Shelter and High Support Houses to the Soup Run and Day Centre, every day of the year.
Commenting on the importance of a solid meal, Tom Cremin, Acting Head of Cork Simon’s Homeless Emergency Support Services said, “wholesome food is one of the essential building blocks to people’s recovery and to rebuilding lives. For most people who come to our door, a decent meal is a distant memory. Before people can even begin to address their experiences, we find they first need the basics - sleep and a nourishing meal – they literally need to build themselves up again.”
Cork Simon’s emergency support services are stretched to capacity. Since the beginning of this year more people than ever before – an average of 54 people per night - have depended on a Cork Simon emergency bed. Cork Simon’s Emergency Shelter normally accommodates 47 people per night.
Every €150 raised through a Great Cork Simon Supper will provide 50 people who are homeless in Cork with nutritious food for a day.
People are encouraged to host a Great Cork Simon Supper at home, at school and in the workplace this September and are invited to sign up at corksimon.ie/supper. Tips and ideas on hosting a Great Cork Simon Supper, along with downloadable invites and recipes to whet the appetite are also available from the website.
If you need ideas for your supper, help is here, lots of it!
Thursday, August 4, 2011
OPERA - ROAST PIG - FINE WINES
Dominique Geary of From Vineyards Direct has been in touch to say that FVYD are the proud sponsors of: “Charity events at Burren House with the London Garden Opera Company.”
The events are on two days, on 3rd and 4th September with all proceeds going to Marymount Hospice, Cork Simon and Local Schools.
On 3rd the From Vineyards Direct team will be there to help you enjoy the Pig Roast Barbeque with suitably picked wines from their successful range! This will take place during an extended interval between the two operas. Also on 4th during the shorter interval!
For a full programme please visit : the Burren House website (Saturday 3rd September full day, garden Opera and Picnic = tickets €69 Sunday 4th September 7-9pm = € 35).
I will be back shortly with the list of wines that will be available to taste and buy (all proceeds to charities mentioned above).