- Market Lane ‘Chef Sessions’ Pops Up with ‘Food Jou...
- Munster Wine & Dine Circle. 2019 April Trip
- Argentine Wine Fair. Elegance doesn’t need perf...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Are you a Rebel or a Chieftain?
- The RACK ‘EM UP SERIES from Eight Degrees Brewing
- PREM Group Invests over €1 million in Kilkenny Hot...
- West Cork Food and Top Italian Wines to feature at...
- SLIGO FOOD TOURS TO TAKE TO THE STREETS THIS SUMME...
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Treat your Mum this Mother’s Day with a Special Lu...
- Inspirational women of Sligo Food Trail
- Launch of Cork School Garden Project
- GEORGIAN WINE COMES TO DUBLIN
- CAHERNANE HOUSE SET FOR FURTHER €1.3M. RENOVATION
- Top Posts, last 6 months
- Cork targets French tourists
- Calorie counting “will cable tie the hands of che...
- THE WORLD’S 50 BEST RESTAURANTS AWARDS
- Maryborough Hotel Food & Wine Evening Friday March 8th
- Blog Policy
Monday, December 3, 2012
Seven Up for Fresco Bistro
They called it the Rebel Fusion Menu and Fresco Bistro made sure it lived up to its name. Based on the best of Irish ingredients, Chef Kash and his crew came up with a stunning series of dishes, some with a European influence, others with an Asian touch, all delicious and illustrating how the food revolution, inspired by our immigrants, has changed the plates of Cork.
And to cap it all, the wine pairings by the experts at L’Atitude 51 were spot-on, with wines from California, Australia and Europe. Must say too that the service here was excellent, the staff friendly and well informed on the dishes and the wines.
If pushed, I might say that the Brisket Tart and Sausage was my favourite course of the seven but, if pushed another way, I might go for that opening Cappuccino or indeed any course at all. Think I’ll just let the pictures do the talking here.
Oh, by the way, it looks as if Fresco Bistro, so hugely encouraged by the response to the venture, will be doing something similar on a regular basis. So, watch this space.
Ummera Smoked Salmon Cappuccino
A Cappuccino with a difference using Ummera Smoked Salmon and Ballyhoura Shiitake mushroom served with pistachio biscotti. "A brilliant blend, the salmon shining through."
The Wine: 2010 Clay Station (California) Viognier.
Criostoir's Rebel County Spiced Beef.
Spiced beef bon bon pasta accompanied with smoked bacon, cabbage roll and horseradish beurre blanc.
"A new way with spiced beef! And that cabbage roll was gorgeous."
The Wine: 2010 Casteliroig (Spain) Xarel-lo
O'Crualaoi's Beef and Ginseng Consomme.
Beef consomee topped with goji berries, venison wanton and quail eggs.
"Loved those little berries, the eggs, the venison, everything."
The Wine: 2008 Cat Amongst the Pigeons (Australia) Cabernet Sauvignon.
Murphy's Organic Salmon Teriyaki.
Mixed berry teriyaki of salmon on sobi noodles and a red miso brother, topped with shichimi togarashi.
"A brilliant super tasty dish influenced by the land of the rising sun."
The Wine: 2010 Temps de Flor (Spain) Xarel-lo, Muscat and Gewurztraminer
Ballycotton Jumbo Scampi
Pan-fried jumbo prawns with an Asian Salad tossed in a soy, garlic and thyme dressing with an Agar Basil Jelly.
"The prawns were brilliant here and that salad was special. The black cylinder is the Agar. Wasn't too popular!"
The Wine: 2008 Rosso di Montalcino (Italy) Sangiovese.
Criostoir's Brisket Tart and Murphy's Beef Sausages.
A tender brisket filled with quail's eggs in a tart, baked to perfection and accompanied with homemade Murphy's beef sausage.
"Yet another top notch dish. The pie was irresistible; terrific sausage and jus."
The Wine: 2008 Chateau Ventenac Reserve (France) Cab Sauv, Merlot and Syrah.
Mixed Berries Pulut
An Asian glutinous rice dessert with berries, served with egg and coconut jam, flavoured with screwpine leaf.
"Wasn't too sure about the rice when I saw this but it was fine with the berries providing a lovely contrast. That jam was yet another treat."
The Wine: Franciacorta Brut (Italy) Chardonnay and Pinot Nero.