- Unique All Ireland Collaboration. Two Great Pionee...
- Songs of Joy as Griffin's turn on the lights next ...
- New Zealand Winegrowers 2019 Sommelier Scholarship...
- Euro-Toques Young Chef of the Year winner is Jack ...
- O'Mahony's Butchers Launches New Click & Collect W...
- Unveiling World Class Shopping Destination. Dunnes...
- Barnabrow. The Christmas Pudding with surPRIZES!
- Delicious Thanksgiving Menu at Waterford's La Bohe...
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- The Good Value Wine List
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Irish food on global stage at Breeders’ Cup World ...
- Franciscan Well Brewpub Celebrates 20 Years Pourin...
- Mescan Brewery founders receive knighthoods in Bel...
- Cooking with Beer. Three Recipes!
- FrancisCAN Well Gone Can Mad
- Stojo - The On-the-Go Collapsible Cup
- WINTER WARMER AT LYRATH ESTATE
- A Simply Better Christmas
- Dress up Fancy for Saturday's Killavullen Farmers ...
- Cork’s Cask Bar and Greenes Restaurant Win Top Awa...
- Cork Food Policy Council Presents Cork Food Harvest Festival 2018
- Blog Policy
- FLAVOURS OF NEW ZEALAND – 2019 Annual Trade Tastin...
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Superb Le Patio Dinner.
But how does a 12 euro wine become a 50 euro one?Day 10 in Arcachon
Le Patio Restaurant, a couple of hundred yards from our base in Arcachon, comes highly recommended. Even Mr Michelin is a fan. We strolled down there in the evening sunshine yesterday (had made a reservation with Maitre D’ Sebastien on the morning) and now we are big fans of the food and the friendly service.
This is the midweek menu (€35.00pp)
Les Huîtres d’Olivier Laban : Les 9 Huîtres du Bassin
Tomate, Mozzarella, Basilic : Pain rôti au Beurre salé, Profiteroles de Tomates, Pignons de Pin et Ail croustillant
Cabillaud : Le dos rôti, Caviar d’Aubergine et Sorbet Fenouil, Jus à l’Absinthe
Boeuf : Tartare de Bœuf et Foie Gras cru,
Arrosé d’un Bouillon chaud au Kafir et Artichaut Breton
Pressé de Chèvre au Concombre confit
Sélection de Fromages (Rénald Fromager affineur)
Cerises : soufflé chaud Pistache et Cerise
Poire : Pochée, Crémeux Nougat et Chocolat, Glace Vanille-Whisky Petites Friandises
I started with the oysters while CL enjoyed her Tomato and Mozzarella (especially the surprise of the presentation). More presentation surprises and more fine dining came with our main course. We each choose the Cod (Cabillaud). It was superb overall. The fennel sorbet added an unusual yet complementary element and I enjoyed the Absinthe sauce!
Again, we each choose the Selection of Cheeses, all famous French names, including Reblochon, Chevre, Tomme de Savoie, Livarot, Bleu de Gex (maybe), and more. Desserts were also fabulous. CL was surprised by the size of her Cherry and Pistachio souffle but that didn't hinder her as she polished it off while I enjoyed the combination of chocolate with my poached pear.
Overall, we thought the food was very good value. The drinks though raised an eyebrow or two. Two gorgeous Kirs cost €18.00. But the big eyebrow raiser was the wine. The Chateau de Rochemorin was fifty euro and one of the less expensive on the list. It is from the Pessac Leognan AOC and was absolutely delightful. But the delight changed a bit when we got back to the house and, while browsing through some literature, saw that the same 2010 bottle of white was on sale at Maison des Vins de Graves for €11.95! How does 11.95 become 50.00?
Before all that, we had been out enjoying the sunshine and indeed, for a change, spent some real time on the beach. Around midday, we headed south to Biscarrosse-Plage, half-intending to visit a nearby Seaplane Museum if the weather stayed dull. But the sun came out and so to the lively beach. Lots of waves rolling in from the Atlantic, great for the surfers but not so good for swimming. Actually, I don't think I saw anyone swimming. Lots of people in the water but just walking and jumping around.
Later in the afternoon, we went inland to the town of Biscarrosse itself which is situated at the northerly end of a large lake, a beautiful one. Here we lingered a while, relaxing in the sun and watching some of the activity on the water.