- FIVE CORK RESTAURANTS OFFERING A SPECIAL PRE-THEA...
- Midweek ‘Me Time’ at Lyrath Estate
- THE SLEEP COACH AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL, KILLARNE...
- MONTENOTTE HOTEL IS THE HOTEL BAR OF YEAR
- Cask Wins ‘Bar of The Year’ at the Bar of The Year...
- SIZZLING HALLOWEEN. Westport House and Hotel Westp...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Posts, last 11 months
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Liked the Malthouse in Clonakilty from the off. It is warm and cosy and comfortable, the lights not too bright. We got a nice window seat and the service, from start to finish, was friendly and top class. And it was a pleasure too to meet Amanda Costelloe herself and enjoy a short chat.
After a rather substantial lunch earlier, we skipped the starters and both went for fish dishes. The fish comes from nearby Union Hall while virtually everything else comes from the nearby farms.
Have great memories of eating Pollock, that we’d caught ourselves, in Mayo and so I picked the Fillet of local Pollock, served with Pea Risotto, Lime Butter and Tomato salsa (€16.50).
CL choose the Oven baked Hake, served with Mango and Red Pepper salsa and lemon Butter Sauce (€19.50).
We really felt that we’d hit the jackpot here. The fish was beautiful and fresh and the combinations were spot-on. Just gorgeous. And we also got side dishes of well cooked vegetables.
And they had just the wine to go with them: a really refreshing fruity bottle of Burcan’s Albarino (€29.00). They have quite a decent wine list and the good thing is that many of them are available by the glass or by the 50cl carafe.
Choices galore too on the menu side with an Evening Menu (with specials), the Taste of West Cork Menu (at a good price!), a Children’s Menu and others, such as a Party Menu. Certainly worth a try if you are in the area but make sure you book in advance, especially at weekends.
They are open for lunch and accommodation deals are also available and you may check it all out here.