- A TASTE OF WEST CORK FOOD FESTIVAL WELCOMES AUSTRA...
- Summer time food is delicious at Cliff House Hotel
- Experience the best of Cork Food with Good Food Ir...
- Cask Opens For Weekend Brunch
- The Fem-Ale Festival Coming Next Month
- Waterford Harvest Festival All Set To Shine Again ...
- TULFARRIS HOTEL AND GOLF RESORT, BLESSINGTON, CO. ...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- SEASONAL DELIGHTS AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL
- Mauro Colagreco’s Mirazur is No.1 as The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2019 are revealed
- SUPERVALU REVEAL CORK ARE THE MOST ADVENTUROUS BBQ...
- €300,000 FUNDING AWARDED TO FOOD PRODUCERS IN CORK...
- World's Top Restaurants 51-120
- Flavour.ie Pops Up with Grub N Dub Club in West Cork!
- Richy's Launch New Menu
- MAKE IT FEEL LIKE A SUMMER THAT NEVER ENDS AT LYRATH ESTATE
- Alfie Byrne’s is ‘smoking hot’ this summer!
- Sea Change: Ireland’s largest free maritime festiv...
- Learn to Make Your Own Pizza At Killavullen Market...
- Top Posts, last 10 months
- Blog Policy
- Sogrape takes majority stake in Liberty Wines
Thursday, April 26, 2012
A Grand Couple from Cariñena
Let me introduce you to a grand couple, from the area of Cariñena, situated about halfway between Madrid and Barcelona. One is red and the other is white and neither costs the earth yet these entry level wines are well worth getting to know.
St Jose de Aguaron, Monasterio de las Vinos, 2011 Garnacha Tempranillo, 13 ABV, €9.99 stockists nationwide
Colour is a beetroot red. Nose of candle wax. Not really! But there was a candle burning right alongside. There are notes of red fruit, such as strawberry.
There is beautiful red fruit on the palate and it is quite smooth, really well balanced and so much better than you’d expect for €9.99. Intense, young, fresh and fruity, the label promises and the bottle delivers!
St Jose de Aguaron, Monasterio de las Vinos, 2011 Macabeo, 12.5 ABV, €9.99 stockists nationwide
This white also delivers, big time.
Light honey is the colour while the nose is fruity, mainly apple. On the palate, it is fresh and fruity, a refreshing mouthful with a decent finish. This has the second glass factor. Maybe the second bottle factor. Affordable and worthwhile.
Macebeo is often described as the Spanish workhorse grape and is also known as Viura and as Macabeu and Maccabéo in Roussillon.To describe this historic grape as a work horse is a bit harsh, particularly in the light of the excellent wine in this bottle.
The installations, built to look like a monastery (hence the title of this group of wines), of the producers Grandes Vinos y Viñedos are located in the municipality of Cariñena, the most important town in the Campo de Cariñena area of Aragón.