- FIVE CORK RESTAURANTS OFFERING A SPECIAL PRE-THEA...
- Midweek ‘Me Time’ at Lyrath Estate
- THE SLEEP COACH AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL, KILLARNE...
- MONTENOTTE HOTEL IS THE HOTEL BAR OF YEAR
- Cask Wins ‘Bar of The Year’ at the Bar of The Year...
- SIZZLING HALLOWEEN. Westport House and Hotel Westp...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Posts, last 11 months
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Taste of the WeekOrchard Cottage Goats Milk Cheese
The Desmond family in Ballinhassig, (County Cork), make a fantastic soft goats cheese, under the Orchard Cottage label, and it is our Taste of the Week. Can't make out how I’ve haven't come across this one until now.
It is beautiful and comes in a jar. There are two different combinations: the round balls of cheese come in a sunflower oil with sun dried tomatoes, basil and garlic and also in sunflower oil with thyme and garlic. This latter has won a silver medal at the world cheese awards and is the one I’ve tasted. The other one (pictured) is in the fridge - though not for long more!
The cheese flavour is mild and the texture is creamy, milder and creamier than usual, less of a tang. May have something to do with the fact that these goats feed mostly on good grass rather than on a rough hillside or bog. If you haven't liked goats cheese previously, this is worth a try and could well be the one that puts you on the way to liking it.
I got mine from the Fresh from West Cork stall in the English Market but the Orchard Cottage products are widely available including Thursday’s market in Mahon and Saturday’s in the Coal Quay. Read more about the Desmond’s farm here.