- COACH HOUSE OPENS AT KILLARNEY'S CAHERNANE HOUSE H...
- FYFFES IRELAND INTRODUCES NEW REDUCED-PACKAGING BA...
- Fourth annual Clonakilty Street Carnival launches ...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Chris Bullzini surveys Cork city ahead of his brea...
- Award-Winning Blacks Brewery & Distillery Launch U...
- The Taste, Walk & Talk of the Town!
- BOISDALE OF BISHOPSGATE LAUNCHES the £90 omelette
- Evening with experts in cooperage, beer, whiskey, wine & pizza
- Richy's Celebrating 18th Year in Clonakilty
- Backyard at Blas takes to the road this spring, su...
- Top Posts, last 7 months
- Kinsale Mead Co. wins Gold again!
- Cork Businesswoman of the Year Awards Shortlist An...
- INTRODUCING “TEA TIME” AT CONRAD DUBLIN
- French Wine Evening. Dillon’s Restaurant 21st May
- Monkstown wine + dine collaboration starts on a hi...
- HIKE AND HERITAGE AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL, KILLAR...
- DRONES, COWS & WOWS – CORK SUMMER SHOW 2019
- Franciscan Well Adds to its Award-Winning Range wi...
- Blog Policy
Thursday, March 31, 2011
RIOJA WINE JEWEL MATCHES IRISH FOOD GEMS
Promesa Crianza 2007, Rioja, 13.5%, €11.99, stockists,
A 100 per cent Tempranillo by Familia Martinez Bujanda, 12 months in oak (70% American, 30% French)
Had good Irish food on the table the other night: starter included some excellent black pudding by Jack McCarthy (via Manning’s Emporium), Pat Whelan’s fantastic Wagyu steaks (won in a Twitter competition), and some Hegarty’s Mature Cheddar (market). Needed a good wine to take its place and match that Cork and Tipp line-up and had it in this superb warm spicy Wine Alliance sample.
The colour is a deep red, close to purple. On the nose, you have black berry fruits along with spice notes. It is strong and intense on the palate, silky tannins combining with the other elements to give an elegant wine with a long and tasty ending. A really well balanced satisfying wine.
The recommended pairings are: Medium-aged cheeses. White and red meats. Lamb, cooked fishes and stews such as tuna with potatoes, beans, and beans with partridge.
Familia Martinez Bujanda are “one of the leading lights of Rioja” and their wines are exported to fifty countries.