- Rías Baixas wines, sensational Irish seafood, unde...
- Mescan Brewery’s second Virtue is a sell-out. JP M...
- September Dates for Murphy’s Cork Oyster and Seafo...
- PINEAPPLE-TO-GO FOR CORK CITY SHOPPERS
- A TASTE OF WEST CORK FOOD FESTIVAL WELCOMES AUSTRA...
- Summer time food is delicious at Cliff House Hotel
- Experience the best of Cork Food with Good Food Ir...
- Cask Opens For Weekend Brunch
- The Fem-Ale Festival Coming Next Month
- Waterford Harvest Festival All Set To Shine Again ...
- TULFARRIS HOTEL AND GOLF RESORT, BLESSINGTON, CO. ...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- SEASONAL DELIGHTS AT CAHERNANE HOUSE HOTEL
- Mauro Colagreco’s Mirazur is No.1 as The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2019 are revealed
- SUPERVALU REVEAL CORK ARE THE MOST ADVENTUROUS BBQ...
- €300,000 FUNDING AWARDED TO FOOD PRODUCERS IN CORK...
- World's Top Restaurants 51-120
- Flavour.ie Pops Up with Grub N Dub Club in West Cork!
- Richy's Launch New Menu
- Top Posts, last 10 months
- Blog Policy
- Sogrape takes majority stake in Liberty Wines
Kinsale Mead Co. wins Gold again!
Kinsale Mead Co. wins Gold again!
Kinsale Mead Co may only have been up and running for less than two years but already they have racked up some impressive awards. Most recently their seasonal berry mead, Hazy Summer Mead, ran away with Gold from the prestigious International Mazer Cup, an annual competition in Boulder, Colorado.
“The Mazer Cup is like the Olympics of mead,” says co-founder, Denis Dempsey. “It’s judged by our fellow mead makers with hundreds of entries from around the world, so it’s stiff competition. As a small, artisan company and the only meadery in Ireland, we are very proud to be able to say that Irish mead is recognised as being among the best in the world.”
That’s one more medal to add to their collection. Last year they won Gold and Silver awards at Blas na hEireann for their Wild Red Mead and Atlantic Dry Mead respectively. Then at the Irish Free From Food Awards, they were awarded Gold in the Special Choice Award.
“All our meads are naturally gluten free,” says co-founder, Kate Dempsey. “And we work hard to select the best, pure honey and berries to make our meads.”
The care and passion that Kinsale Mead bring to their drinks is richly rewarded by the evocative summer flavours and that thirst-quenching pour. The meads are light and refreshing, handcrafted in small batches using carefully sourced, natural ingredients. Although they have only just bottled this season’s Hazy Summer Mead, the beautiful ripe berry flavour and strawberry and raspberry aromas are proving enticing.
“We like to think of it as Ireland’s answer to Pimms, that British perennial summer drink. Once the sun comes out, pour yourselves a glass of chilled Hazy Summer,” says Kate.
It’s a limited release so make sure you get your hands on a bottle for your sun-filled days and fun-filled evenings from O’Briens Wines or your local independent off licence or specialty food store.
“We’re also stocked in many Supervalus. They have been great at supporting us from an early stage as an artisan drinks producer as part of the Food Academy,” says Denis.
The medals are now displayed proudly in the meadery in Kinsale where you can see them when you visit for a tour and tasting.
Web: www.KinsaleMeadCo.ie for online orders and stockists
Phone: 021 477 3538