- Festival Launch of the Old Butter Roads Food Trail...
- One in five Irish shoppers are regular gluten free...
- The C.A.T. is out!
- The Tavern Lobster Festival on the May weekend
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- On the Pig's Back to open for Sunday brunch/lunch!...
- International Biennial Poster Design Terras Gauda ...
- A Celebration of Milleens Farmhouse Cheese
- Heading for San Sebastián? Top spots for wine and ...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Hayfield Manor Welcomes New General Manager
- Blog Policy
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Take a sip of this red blend from Portugal. I did and thought it good. Then I took a look at the price: €8.99. Incredible. Incredibly good value.
Colour is an attractive ruby with an attractive nose of berries. The acidity here is the first to shake hands with you as the tannins are not shy. But immediately there is a rich follow of fruit and the decent finish is along similar lines. Quite a wine for the price.
Castelao is a well known Portuguese grape and makes up 50 per cent of this wine. The other constituents are: Syrah / Cabernet Sauvignon/ Alicante Bouchet.
The boys of Wine Alliance have a nose for wines of value and they have certainly hit the jackpot here. I’m not the only one thinking along these lines. The Sunday Times online have it listed as a Star Buy this summer
Stockists by County
1601 Off Licence, Kinsale Cork
Bradleys Off Licence, North Main Street Cork
JJ O Driscolls, Ballinlough, Cork
Barrys Off Licence, Midleton, Cork
The Beer Garden, Turners Cross, Cork
Mulcahys Off Licence, Charleville, Cork
Matsons Wine Store, Bandon, Cork
Monkstown Golf Club, Monkstown, Cork
Murphys Foodstore, Dromcummer, Cork
Electric, South Mall, Cork
Liberty Grill, Washington Street, Cork
Cafe Gusto, Washington Street, Cork