- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- NOMINATIONS OPEN FOR THE BASQUE CULINARY WORLD PRI...
- Hayfield Manor Welcomes New General Manager
- April Danann: Fermentation is Life!
- Munster Wine & Dine Reminder on upcoming events 2017
- NEW YORKER FINE LAGER BEER
- Dublin's newest whiskey venture launched
- The First Food Academy Programme Of 2017
- Food safety: simpler rules proposed for small reta...
- Ireland’s first branded Irish cream liqueur launched
- Jonathan Keller crowned winner of the European Che...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Blog Policy
- Irish consumers look forward to World Pi(e) Day
Monday, January 7, 2013
Operation: Transform the Chicken!
Back in the jour, there was poulet fumé. En vacances in France, it was a treat but nothing to write ( it was long before Twitter) home about.
Indeed, we had to come home and fast forward a fair bit to find something to write home about. And that was the smoked chicken from Anthony Creswell in Ummera. Indeed anything Anthony smokes is worth not just writing home about but bringing home with you.
Sampled a fair few of his delicacies over the recent holidays before getting down to the chicken. What to eat with it? That was the question until I began browsing through the latest Aldi newsletter and spotted the potato salad they had printed as part of their association with RTE’s Operation Transform.
This has proved to be quite a popular programme and the 6th series gets underway this very Tuesday evening. Dr. Eva Orsmond is one of the key people and her recipes appear in the Aldi booklet and all the info will be on the programme’s website.
In the meantime, I have attached a copy of the potato salad that did indeed go very well with the smoked chicken, even though Eve suggested you use it with her pan-fried salmon dish. In any event, it is quite versatile and very tasty!
Speaking of matches, I tried another one over the holidays and indeed, must say I am very pleased with it. Have you still got some Christmas pudding in the house? Good. Don’t use it until you get your hands on a bottle or two of A Winter’s Ale from Mitchelstown’s 8 Degrees Brewing Company.
The Ale, which is “reinforced” by some Green Saffron Spices, is stronger than usual. But don’t worry. This doesn’t call for a lot. We shared a bottle between each pair. Pour into a small glass, even a wine glass, and sip it with your steamed pudding. Gorgeous. That was the verdict here. Well worth a try.
Operation Transform starts Tuesday 8th January at 8.30pm on RTÉ One