- Waterford Harvest Festival cultivates growing busi...
- ‘Urban Food Fest’ opening event of Pigtown Food & ...
- Holy Smoke Pitmaster Masterclass.
- Whiskey buffs and the culturally curious rejoice. ...
- Five Gold Medals for Rising Sons
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Babies and Toddlers Welcome at Waterford Harvest Festival
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Exciting Harvest Dining on Waterford Festival Menu
- Coming Up: Murrisk Pattern & Oyster Festival
- Taste Cork Week 2017
- FEAST in THE EAST. Midleton’s Renowned Food Festiv...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Old Carrick Mill Discovers A French Connection!
- Blog Policy
Friday, June 21, 2013
Island Bakery celebrates 1st birthday
with opening of first mainland outpost
It is hard to believe that it has not yet been a year since The Firehouse Bakery and Bread school opened its doors. On June 30th last year Patrick Ryan and Laura Moore set up shop on Heir Island in West Cork. For an island that boosts 27 permanent residents expectations for this venture did not extend beyond the summer months.
Bu,t as the Firehouse bakery approaches its first birthday, business is going from strength to strength for the West Cork duo.
Since opening Patrick's passion for real bread and his island bakery has grasped the nation's imagination and got many of us back baking again. The bread school is currently fully booked until October (but Patrick assures us that he is trying to find extra course dates) and with the opening of a new bakery and patisserie in Delgany, Co. Wicklow it is hard to argue with the pair's bread revolution.
The Firehouse bakery forms part of the exciting new venture under way at The Delgany Co. Wicklow which houses four independent businesses operating jointly, Romany Stone restaurant, The Delgany Grocer, The Bungalow Florist and Gift Shop and The Firehouse bakery.
“While West Cork remains the home to our bread school The Delgany is the new home to our bakery,” explains Laura. With an open plan bakery and wood fired oven the Firehouse Bakery is bringing a touch of island life to Co. Wicklow.
“Each morning you can sit and watch the bakers work as they prepare and bake hand crafted sourdough breads and pastries. Throughout the day our wood fired oven will offer up pizzas and flat breads served along with soups and sandwiches,“ said Patrick who is delighted to be working alongside amazing producers like Badger & Dodo, Clement & Pekoe, Abernathy Butter and Gubbeen cheese. "It is a pleasure to be bringing back the village bakery!"