- Airfield: Fish. Fire and Grill.
- It’s the Year of the Dog – at The Draft House, Str...
- Fourcorners Begins Distribution Partnership with W...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Celebrate at Glenlo Abbey Hotel
- Market Lane Group's new 'Chef Session' Pops Up on ...
- Slow Food East Cork. Coming: Prof Ted Dinan; Bronw...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Easter at The K Club. Eggs. And Golf!
- Georgina Campbell’s Ireland - The Best of the Best
- Blog Policy
Monday, March 28, 2011
Dined in a castle last Friday night and it cost me just over 30 euro. Incredible? Not really, just take yourself down to the Castle Cafe and Restaurant in Blackrock Castle and you’ll see I’m not kidding.
The food operation has recently been taking over by the folks from the well established and well regarded Market Lane and the experience shows here. But there seems to be a different lighter touch at play here or at least there was in the dishes that I enjoyed.
The cafe is divided into two rooms and has a full bar. Service is excellent, friendly and considerate and efficient, and the seating is quite comfortable.
We were seated in the back room and from the nicely printed one sheet menu I picked Asparagus, smoked salmon and mussels with a hollandaise sauce (7.95). The Asparagus was tip top as was the salmon and the whole thing was a treat. Gorgeous.
Now on to the main course: Pan Fried Sea bass with a tian of Mediterranean vegetables 17.95). Hard to beat this one. The combination was light and tasty and still quite substantial.
Desserts cost just over 6 euro each but I passed on that. Wine was the house Sauvignon Blanc at €5.50 a glass, 12 for a 0.5l carafe.
Of course you can spend more here. Steaks will cost you in the mid 20s. You can spend less – I spotted a Pan fried Chicken dish for 11.50 and they also have a selection of pizzas around that mark. Well worth checking out.
The restaurant is open for lunch seven days and serves evening meals on Fridays and Saturday. Phone: 4357911; email@example.com