- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Argentine Wine Fair 11th April
- IRISH EYES ARE SMILIGN!
- West Cork Farm Tours – An authentic grass roots, I...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- “Salt of the Earth” art exhibition for budding art...
- The Good Value Wine List
- Eight Degrees: now in cans, with new beer and awar...
- Fourcorners Bring US Brewing Giants Ballast Point ...
- Munster Wine & Dine. Coming Soon. The Wine Walk. W...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ladies’ Day at the Mustard Seed in Ballingarry, Co...
- Paradiso is 25 and celebrating!
- Easter at The K Club. Eggs. And Golf!
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Taste of the WeekSkyr from Iceland
Skyr is the new yogurt like dairy product from Iceland. Except that they don't call it yogurt and, while new to Ireland, it has a history of over a 1,000 years in Iceland.
I’ve been enjoying some samples over the past few days. It has a creamy velvety texture and the flavours are enhanced by the addition of strawberry, blueberry and vanilla. It comes in a 170g pot with a fold-out spoon in the lid so you can enjoy it on the go.
Skyr (pronounced skeer) is billed as Iceland’s secret to healthy living and you may read all about the benefits here. Here too you’ll find the full story and also some recipes.
It is made by a large dairy co-op from skimmed milk and they use “the Original Icelandic Skyr Cultures” and it is widely available in Dunnes Stores outlets up and down the country.