- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Grub Club at the White Horse
- How CIT's Department of Tourism & Hospitality is r...
- Savour the last sip of summer with an Albarino tas...
- KeepCup. Keep Reusing. October is the Month to sta...
- World BBQ is coming to Limerick Town
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Sligo's Gala Harvest Feast
- Cliff Townhouse Oyster Fest takes place from 7th –...
- Griffins to reduce environmental Footprint with Ne...
- CHARITY ‘POP UP’ TO VISIT CORK CITY
- Coming Up: Murrisk Pattern & Oyster Festival
- Taste Cork Week 2017
- Blog Policy
Monday, December 21, 2015
Taste of the Week
Bought some Killeen goat milk cheese at On the Pig's Back recently and it is a gem. Made in the Gouda style by Dutch-born Marion Roeleveld in Ballinasloe, the recently published Sheridans Guide to Cheese has praised it to the rafters of the dairy: “The Gouda-making technique works very well with goats’ milk and Marion produces the best we have ever tasted.” High praise indeed for our Taste of the Week.
It is a very pale cheese indeed, the texture is firm and smooth and it falls into the Pressed Uncooked category. It is mild, a little sweet and totally delicious, very versatile too and one that garners many converts for goats cheese. Try it in salads, with fruit or as a topping for savoury dishes. And don't forget the cheese board. It was voted Best Goat Cheese at the British Cheese Awards in 2014.
Killeens also make a cows milk cheese along Gouda lines. Check out their website here for the details of both cheeses (and some variations as well) and you’ll also see that they are widely available.