- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Teeling Whiskey Unveils Final Release of The Reviv...
- BE OUR GUEST! CORK’S LONG TABLE DINNER RETURNS
- A Mega Meitheal Coming May 2018: Events Calendar for Old Butter Roads Summer Féile
- Kelly’s Butchers take breakfast by storm. Georgina...
- New Irish pot still gin, bursting with Mediterrane...
- Musgrave MarketPlace donates over 250,000 meals to...
- Munster Wine & Dine. Coming Soon. An evening at Killahora Orchards
- EU launches European Capital of Smart Tourism
- Franciscan Well Springs into Summer
- IRISH EYES ARE SMILIGN!
- West Cork Farm Tours – An authentic grass roots, I...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Blog Policy
Friday, June 21, 2013
Island Bakery celebrates 1st birthday
with opening of first mainland outpost
It is hard to believe that it has not yet been a year since The Firehouse Bakery and Bread school opened its doors. On June 30th last year Patrick Ryan and Laura Moore set up shop on Heir Island in West Cork. For an island that boosts 27 permanent residents expectations for this venture did not extend beyond the summer months.
Bu,t as the Firehouse bakery approaches its first birthday, business is going from strength to strength for the West Cork duo.
Since opening Patrick's passion for real bread and his island bakery has grasped the nation's imagination and got many of us back baking again. The bread school is currently fully booked until October (but Patrick assures us that he is trying to find extra course dates) and with the opening of a new bakery and patisserie in Delgany, Co. Wicklow it is hard to argue with the pair's bread revolution.
The Firehouse bakery forms part of the exciting new venture under way at The Delgany Co. Wicklow which houses four independent businesses operating jointly, Romany Stone restaurant, The Delgany Grocer, The Bungalow Florist and Gift Shop and The Firehouse bakery.
“While West Cork remains the home to our bread school The Delgany is the new home to our bakery,” explains Laura. With an open plan bakery and wood fired oven the Firehouse Bakery is bringing a touch of island life to Co. Wicklow.
“Each morning you can sit and watch the bakers work as they prepare and bake hand crafted sourdough breads and pastries. Throughout the day our wood fired oven will offer up pizzas and flat breads served along with soups and sandwiches,“ said Patrick who is delighted to be working alongside amazing producers like Badger & Dodo, Clement & Pekoe, Abernathy Butter and Gubbeen cheese. "It is a pleasure to be bringing back the village bakery!"