- The Good Value Wine List
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Franciscan Well Hosts Spirits Fest On Good Friday
- Exploding Tree launches Cocoa Husk Tea. An energiz...
- Breakfast cereal, flour, bread and more - Oats!
- Airfield: Fish. Fire and Grill.
- It’s the Year of the Dog – at The Draft House, Str...
- Fourcorners Begins Distribution Partnership with W...
- Celebrate at Glenlo Abbey Hotel
- Market Lane Group's new 'Chef Session' Pops Up on ...
- Slow Food East Cork. Coming: Prof Ted Dinan; Bronw...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Easter at The K Club. Eggs. And Golf!
- Georgina Campbell’s Ireland - The Best of the Best
- Blog Policy
Sunday, April 24, 2011
AN ACE FROM GASCONY
Gascony, best known for its Armagnac (I also like the local Floc), produces some “popular wine-bar wines” according to Hugh Johnson who notes Pellehaut as one of the better producers.
Picked up a bottle of Domaine de Pellehaut Ampelomeryx 2007 at Curious Wines recently and this blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Manseng Gros and Manseng Petit, sure surprised me, in a very pleasant way.
Colour is inviting, so is the nose and the promise is delightfully delivered onwards by an excellent Vin de Pays. This has a share of awards to its credit and Johnson recommends that you DYA, i.e. Drink the Youngest Available. The