- Meat | Fish | Smoke & Fire
- FYFFES COMMITMENT TO FAIRTRADE RECOGNISED
- Estrella Damm to Continue Partnership with Food On...
- Revamp unveiled of well-known Kinsale restaurant ...
- Carl D’Alton From Cask Wins World Class Irish Bart...
- 420 GUESTS TO DINE OUTDOORS FOR CORK’S LONG TABLE...
- Renowned London Cocktail Bar Callooh Callay To Pop Up in Cork; One Night Only
- SuperValu Unveils Its New Summer Wine Range. With ...
- UK’S BEST PIZZA CHEF, DAVIDE D’AURIA, TO HOST A MA...
- 100,000 Footfall Boost Expected for Newbridge Silverware with Launch of Factory Tour
- Freshii Goes Greener: Compostable Packaging, Cutl...
- Archway Lager launched by Franciscan Well
- Summer Season In Cask Cocktail Bar In Cork Kicks O...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Mescan Brewery Tours - New for Summer 2018
- Cork based TablePath puts you in control of your r...
- FIRST MARKET LANE SCHOLARSHIP HELPS STUDENT ON ROAD TO CULINARY SUCCESS
- ‘Our Table’ pop up event promises a fusion of flav...
- Beaujolais on Irish Tour!
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
Taste of the Week
Brown Soda Bread by Dooley’s
Dooley’s Bakery and Café is in Rathcormac, on the main street, neatly painted in a pale green, with an old bike outside.
We knew the bread box at home was bare so we stopped there yesterday and, despite the temptations of the sweet things in the cabinet, bought one of their brown soda breads.
But what a soda bread! A little warmth when I took it out of the bag - it was fresh, great aromas too and above all terrific flavour and texture.
I know it costs almost twice as much as a supermarket effort but well worth it; this is the real thing and Taste of the Week.
Maybe I should have lingered a while, enjoyed a Badger & Dodo coffee with one of those pastries; maybe go all the way and buy a lotto ticket - it is also the Post Office!
Back at home, a few slices of the bread, slathered with some Apple & Blackberry Jam by ‘G’, was a nice reward for a long walk around nearby Corrin Hill (including a visit to summit). Simple pleasures!