- Griffins of Dripsey Join Dessert Festival Fun
- Mitchelstown Old Butter Road Event This Weekend!
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Munster Wine & Dine. Gubbeen Visit Update!
- Family fun at Westport Food Festival
- The Return of the Campo Viejo Tapas Trail
- A Beginner's Guide To Kitchen Knife Techniques
- Herb Marinated Lamb Chops with Asparagus, Lemon, a...
- GREEN SPACE TO PARTNER MARKET LANE GROUP TO REDUCE FOOD MILES AND FOOD WASTE
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Emporium Raising the Bar in Cork
- Beaujolais trade tasting comes back to Dublin
- The C.A.T. is out!
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
Taste of the Week
Brown Soda Bread by Dooley’s
Dooley’s Bakery and Café is in Rathcormac, on the main street, neatly painted in a pale green, with an old bike outside.
We knew the bread box at home was bare so we stopped there yesterday and, despite the temptations of the sweet things in the cabinet, bought one of their brown soda breads.
But what a soda bread! A little warmth when I took it out of the bag - it was fresh, great aromas too and above all terrific flavour and texture.
I know it costs almost twice as much as a supermarket effort but well worth it; this is the real thing and Taste of the Week.
Maybe I should have lingered a while, enjoyed a Badger & Dodo coffee with one of those pastries; maybe go all the way and buy a lotto ticket - it is also the Post Office!
Back at home, a few slices of the bread, slathered with some Apple & Blackberry Jam by ‘G’, was a nice reward for a long walk around nearby Corrin Hill (including a visit to summit). Simple pleasures!