- Five Gold Medals for Rising Sons
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Babies and Toddlers Welcome at Waterford Harvest Festival
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Franciscan Well descends on The Big Grill, with su...
- Exciting Harvest Dining on Waterford Festival Menu
- Coming Up: Murrisk Pattern & Oyster Festival
- Taste Cork Week 2017
- FEAST in THE EAST. Midleton’s Renowned Food Festiv...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Lunch at Nano Nagle Place
- Pearse Lyons Distillery at St. James, Dublin
- Go Off the Eaten Track in Co Limerick during Herit...
- Griffin's Open Late for World Youth Angling Championships
- Old Carrick Mill Discovers A French Connection!
- Bayview Hotel Launches ‘Banquet by the Bay’ Series...
- Blog Policy
Tuesday, November 8, 2016
Taste of the Week
Creeny Irish Sheep Cheese
I bought this cheese at the Donegal Food Festival from the cheesemaker herself Silke Cropp of Corleggy Cheese in County Cavan. She told me it was six months old and made from raw sheep’s milk. It is rare enough as it is made only for four months each year.
At two months this is a mild cheese but as it matures (up to 12 months) it becomes a very sharp cheese indeed. I sampled a wee bit of the six month old cylinder and thought it was amazing, not a million miles away from a Pecorino, with a distinctive piquant pepperiness. It is indeed, salty, sharp and funky (as the Americans say).
It also has a distinctive rind but one that you may eat as Silke emphasised that it is formed naturally in the brine. “Creeny is always very slightly salty, the reason is that the sheep graze the grass to the very earth, full of salts and minerals from all the rich rain.”
Sheep milk is the richest milk of the three main milks and high butter fat and protein content makes for the rich luxurious taste. Like goat milk, sheep milk products are suitable for people with cow’s milk allergies.
It is my Taste of the Week. Use it as you would a Pecorino. It is suitable for grating and cooking and good for fondues, omelettes, sauces, salads, soups, pastas and pizzas and for sprinkling over savoury dishes. Go on, give it a try.
+353 (0) 499522930