- Franciscan Well Christmas Experience
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- Of Mice and Mayors and Mulled Wine. Music too for ...
- FANAH-FEST: An Eight Degrees Brewing Beer & Music ...
- Flavours of New Zealand
- Upcoming Masterclasses at CLIFF Academy
- Culinary Match. Market Lane Group and CIT'S Touris...
- The Mescan Menu at The Tavern Murrisk
- Mallow Christmas Food and Craft Family Fair
- Dunnes Stores Awarded Irish Quality Food Retailer ...
- Update on "An Afternoon in Ballymaloe House including Sunday Lunch"
- ROZANNA PURCELL & LIFEWAY KEFIR PARTNER TO PROMOTE...
- All the Cheese Champions for 2017
- Go Full Irish for Charity
- Listowel Food Fair Honours Georgina Campbell
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Taste Cork Week 2017
- Blog Policy
Thursday, May 1, 2014
Mussel Bites make a Tasty Tuesday Lunch!
The sun was out and about last Tuesday and the garden swing beckoned. And no problem about lunch as I had just arrived in from town with a pack of frozen Mussel Bites. Frozen. Yes, but no problem as these delicious bites can be cooked from frozen.
No need to wash or “beard” these beauties, all the way from Beara, and about 20 minutes later, with some leaves from the garden and sipping from a bottle of Rebel Red Ale by Franciscan Well, we were dining al fresco. Must say that the mussels, covered with multi-grain and garlic, were absolutely delicious and they went down very well with the ale.
With better days ahead, I’ll be sticking a few packs (€4.99 each) of these in the freezer. They are very handy for a quick lunch and would also make a lovely starter or could even be served tapas style.
Beara Seafoods is a locally-based, family run company. Its owner Ger Lynch is a fifth generation fisherman with thirty seven years experience in the cultivation and harvesting of mussels. The mussels used in the product are locally grown on the Kenmare Bay, in SAC approved waters (Special Area of Conservation). They are cultivated without the use of artificial feed or treatment of any sort and are packed with Atlantic goodness. The Lynchs have taken a trusted family recipe and combined the two to create our delicious 100% Irish Mussel Bites.
Helen Lynch told me that the succulent mussels are rolled in multi grain (rolled oats as well as a little rice and wheat) and real garlic is also added. ”These Mussels Bites are healthy, low in fat and delicious too. A 100g portion contains only 152 calories and 1.5g of fat; they are also packed with essential fish oils and protein. What's more, they are very convenient for the modern family; suitable for baking, grilling or frying. We recommend baking as it's a simple and healthy way of cooking.”
“Our mussels have all the goodness of slow-food without the labour intensive preparation beforehand; a delicious, filling and healthy alternative to the more processed breaded products on the market.”
Mussel Bites are available in over ten SuperValu branches throughout Munster and Beara Seafoods intend to expand that list in the coming weeks. Local (city-based) outlets include:
Scally's SuperValu on the Mahon Road
Ryan's SuperValu, Glanmire and Grange
Downe's SuperValu, Ballincollig
Quish's SuperValu, Ballincollig
Bradley’s, North Main Street
Keohane Seafoods, Kinsale Road
For info: Contact Helen on 086 169 2816 or Ger on 086 384 5377.