- 36% of Irish people go out for dinner at least once a week
- 1 in 4 go out to lunch once a week
- Half spend €50-€100 when eating out
- 11% spend over €100 per dining occasion
- 60% always leave a tip while 36% say it depends on the level of service
- 71% tip 10% while 1 in 5 usually tip 15% of the total bill
- Weekends are the most popular time of the week to dine out (44%)
- 30% tend to split the bill while 42% take it in turns to pay
- 26% take pictures of their food when eating out
- 38% would like to see more casual dining restaurants in Ireland while 1 in 5 would like more healthy eateries
- Last chance to sign up for Tuesday's trip to the Cotton Ball - see details below as well of other exciting events for your diary!
- Birthday celebrations at The Draft House, Strandhi...
- Farmer In Co Cork Cultivates Thought Provoking Gar...
- Cork based TablePath puts you in control of your r...
- MEET THE PEOPLE BEHIND CORK’S LONG TABLE DINNER
- FIRST MARKET LANE SCHOLARSHIP HELPS STUDENT ON ROAD TO CULINARY SUCCESS
- Getaway to Lyrath Estate in Kilkenny
- ‘Our Table’ pop up event promises a fusion of flav...
- Beaujolais on Irish Tour!
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- A Mega Meitheal Coming May 2018: Events Calendar for Old Butter Roads Summer Féile
- Blog Policy
Musgrave MarketPlace delves into Irish dining habits
Musgrave MarketPlace delves into Irish dining habits
Over a third of Irish people go out for dinner at least once a week
We’re a nation that loves to dine out according to new research from Musgrave MarketPlace, Ireland’s leading wholesale supplier to foodservice. The survey into Irish dining habits reveals that 36% of Irish people dine out at least once a week with dinner the most popular meal to go out for (79%).
The research was carried out as part of Musgrave MarketPlace’s Discover Musgrave MarketPlace event which took place at Medley Restaurant on Tuesday, 1st May. The event saw key Musgrave MarketPlace suppliers and customers come together for a daylong celebration of food, drink and culinary innovation.
Guests on the day included well-known restaurant owner, Musgrave MarketPlace customer and ex-rugby international Jamie Heaslip. Jamie who is behind successful bars such as Lemon & Duke and The Bridge, had the opportunity to sample food from restaurants such as Roberta’s and Indie Spice on the day. There was also a chance to meet some of the people behind the food including: Musgrave MarketPlace’s master butcher; in-house wine experts; head development chef Clement Pavie; and fishmonger Laura Desmond of Oceanpath, Musgrave MarketPlace’s seafood partner.
Let’s do lunch
While dinner is the most popular meal to dine out for, 1 in 4 say they go out for lunch once a week. While many restaurants currently have bespoke brunch menus, only 13% say they go out for brunch on a weekly basis. This number increases slightly to 15% among those aged 18-29.
The Musgrave MarketPlace dining research reveals that half of our respondents spend an average of €50-€100 when dining out while 11% spend in excess of €100 each time they eat out. Unsurprisingly weekends are the most popular time to go out for something to eat with 44% saying they like to dine out at the weekend.
When it comes to splitting the bill, it seems we have a relaxed attitude to who pays. 42% say they simply take it in turns to pay with their dining companion. 30% say they ‘go Dutch’ and split the bill equally. However, a key bugbear for those questioned is when dining in a large group and instead of splitting the bill equally, their dining companions prefer to only pay for what they ordered. A third of people describe this behavior as irritating!
Healthy and causal
In line with current food trends, 38% of people questioned say they would like to see more casual dining options in Ireland and 1 in 5 would like to see more healthy eateries popping up. The demand for healthy options aligns with what Musgrave MarketPlace is seeing from its customers in the food service industry who are increasingly seeking out healthy options from our extensive product range.
A generous 60% of people polled always leave a tip while just over a third (36%) say it depends on the level of service they receive on the day. 10% of the bill is the average tip (71%) and 1 in 5 leave an average of 15% based on their bill.
With more and more restaurants now spending additional time on making their dishes look ‘insta worthy’, it’s no surprise that over 1 in 4 (26%) say they take pictures of their food when dining out.
Commenting on the research Noel Keeley, Managing Director, Musgrave Wholesale Partners said: “It’s clear from our research that as a nation we love to dine out. The restaurant scene in Ireland is always evolving so it’s important that we stay ahead of the curve, innovate within our own business and continue to anticipate the needs of our customers. Our ‘Discover Musgrave MarketPlace’ event is a celebration of that innovation and a showcase of the quality of suppliers and customers we work with.”
“Over the last two years we have focused on revamping our branches into state-of-the-art Food Emporiums which provide an unrivalled offer to the food service industry. As part of this transformation we have invested close to €10m developing our Food Emporiums in Ballymun, Robinhood and Belfast. And we’re currently in the process of transforming our Cork branch which is due for completion this summer.”