|On the Loire|
- Archway Lager team up with Eatyard to create weekend of great music, great food and great lager
- Teeling Whiskey Announces Details of July’s ‘Dubli...
- Giant 13lb Jägermeister Gelato Sundae created to l...
- 1500 Australians will arrive in Cobh on Friday, 27...
- "We bring the festival to you"
- 41 West Cork towns, villages and 8 islands collabo...
- PREM Group complete acquisition of the Aspect Hote...
- Gold Medal for Dunnes Stores Simply Better Collect...
- 10th Annual Waterford Harvest Festival. Here are t...
- ‘Summer at the Brewery’ with Clonakilty Brewing Co...
- Graham Norton's Range is now sparkliGN!
- Franciscan Well Celebrates Women in Beer
- Irish luxury cream liqueur announces new national ...
- Clonakilty Fairtrade's 15th Anniversary Gala Dinne...
- Top Posts, last 12 months
- Revamp unveiled of well-known Kinsale restaurant ...
- Restaurant Reviews. Up-to-date. Cork & Ireland
- Ireland's Great Producers, Great Tastes
- The Good Value Wine List
- Top Wines. With Reviews & Irish Stockists.
- Blog Policy
Thursday, September 15, 2016
Northern Whites. Double Delight.
Northern WhitesDouble Delight
We’ve got two excellent whites for you to consider this week. One is a Riesling from Germany’s Rheingau and the other is a Sauvignon Blanc from the little-known Menetou-Salon appellation in the Loire valley.
Germany’s greatest variety, Riesling, is first documented in the Rheingau in 1435. Don't think Carl Ehrhard has been there that long but he has built up a great reputation and our selection is a lovely example.
Menetou-Salon is a village at the eastern end of the Loire Valley wine region. Wine-searcher.com says it is “forecast by many to be a potential rival for the famous Sancerre appellation (its immediate north-eastern neighbor), Menetou-Salon is rapidly establishing its reputation at an international level”. The reputation is being built on two varieties: Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir.
Carl Ehrhard Rüdesheim Riesling Kabinett Feinherb 2015, Rheingau (Germany), 11.5%, €18.60 Karwig Wines
A few words:
Kabinett: a wine made from fully ripened grapes of the main harvest, one level lower than Spätlese.
Feinherb: off dry.
This light gold 100% Riesling has lots of mini-bubbles clinging to the glass. There are white fruit aromas and the intense fresh fruit flavours (apple, citrus) make the tongue tingle at the start before rolling deliciously on. That tingle is the acidity keeping all that lively lovely fruit (with its hints of sweetness) in balance, right through to the excellent finish. Carl Ehrhard never leaves one down and this is Very Highly Recommended.
Just to let those of you worried about the whiffs of diesel from some Rieslings know, there is not a trace of fumes here!
Jean-Max Roger, Morogues, Le Petit Clos 2014, Menetou-Salon (AOC), 12.5%, €21.55 Karwig Wines
This is a classic Loire Sauvignon blanc, on a par with neighbouring Sancerre where Jean-Max also farms. It is elegant and restrained and the perfect partner for “the bounty of the seas,..... Also a good match for white meats and goat’s cheese”. The fruit comes from 5 hectares of vines in Le Petit Clos vineyard. In this steep south-facing slope, grape quality is the season long target.
This light gold wine has pleasant herbaceous aromas, citrus hints too, and these follow through on a fresh and lively palate, superb balance and long finish. Dry and crisp, with lots of character, this excellent Sauvignon Blanc is Highly Recommended.