Food and Drink Spotting
|Taste of the week, at Manning's Emporium, Ballylickey.|
Taste of West Cork Food Festival offers three days of enjoyment based around the exhilarating Celtic Cook Off event.
“Join us in West Cork to:
• Meet our own award-winning Artisan Producers and taste their products
• Meet the internationally-acclaimed chefs participating in the Celtic Cook Off – Gary O’Hanlon for Ireland - Jack Stein for Cornwall - Shaun Hill for Wales - Stephane Delourme for Brittany – Butch Buttery for the Isle of Man – Tony Singh for Scotland
Plus Roy Brett from The Ondine Restaurant – Martin Shanahan from Fishy Fishy – Tim Anderson 2011 MasterChef Winner
• Come to the Celtic Cook Off Produce Market, where the competing chefs will choose their ingredients and then enjoy Celtic Food Fusion as they, and the producers, create lunch
• Enjoy the buzz as six top chefs compete in the Celtic Cook Off 2012
• Relish A Taste of Ondine as Roy Brett re-creates the menu of his famous Edinburgh restaurant here in West Cork
• Learn to smoke fish with a hands-on session with Sally Barnes at the award-winning Woodcock Smokery and get to take home your very own smoked fish
• Get afloat with champion kayaker Jim Kennedy and Sally McKenna of the Bridgestone Guides to learn how to forage for seaweed and make lunch on the beach
• Delight in an evening of cookery skills demonstrated by your own guest chef, food writer and blogger Mei Chin as she creates a West Cork Food dinner just for you – audience participation encouraged!
• Visit Glebe Gardens with its new restaurant and meet Madeline McKeever of Brown Envelope Seeds – No Food Without a Seed
We can accommodate six food enthusiasts only so please book now to avoid disappointment. Organise your own group of six and you’ll win a €50 voucher for food or wine from Ballinwillin House www.ballinwillinhouse.com”
Get all the details here
Curious Wines seem to have found “relations” down under and you can see some of the Curious Kiwi wines on their site. The label may be playful but they say this Pinot Noir is a serious red wine.
“Exotic and exciting aromas typical of Pinot Noir, with its velvety texture and firm red fruit. This is delightfully soft and juicy, with plum, cherry and cinnamon flavours. An elegant background of oak brings softness and balance without smothering the vibrant yet focused fruit.” Worth a check as there are some good Pinot Noirs coming from the Marlborough area.
Fans of Beso de Vino will be glad to know that the Seleccion 2010, a blend of Syrah and Garnacha, is now released and available here. Maurice O’Mahony of importers Wine Alliance tells me it keeps getter better and better. This warm spicy red is available at around the €10.00 mark. Very good value indeed.
Wine Diary: Sunday 16th September, 4.30pm
‘A New Zealand Wine Adventure in Ballymaloe’, at The Grain Store at Ballymaloe
With New Zealand winemakers Larry McKenna, Escarpment Wines, Martinborough & John Hancock, Trinity Hill Wines, Hawkes Bay.
Peter Handzus @PeterHandzus
Thinking about Good Bed and Breakfasts in French #wine regions http://bit.ly/OmkfD4 via @WineTravel #winelover
New content: World Ipa Day: I am sure all you beer monsters know that Thursday 2nd August heralds the 2nd ... http://bit.ly/R6Nyvl #beer
Matt Simpson @BeerSommelier
Craft beer leads uptake in NZ breweries: The number of New Zealand breweries almost doubled over the past ... http://tinyurl.com/cux8dc6 #beer
Rozanne Stevens proposes Summer Entertaining with Sumac Spices
Blarney Woollen Mills introduce Fish Fridays at The Mill Restaurant! BlarneyWoollenMills @BWMHotel
A Taste of Spain @atasteofspain
Beach bars in Spain vía @guardian #food#travel #Spain
Brigit Strawbridge @BeeStrawbridge
Wonderful....an entire site dedicated to Edible Flowers! #food #remember_to_leave_some_for_the_bees
Chicken with Herb-Roasted Tomatoes and Pan Sauce: Recipe from Bon Appétit ht#Food